Sunday, February 24, 2008

Klitschko-Ibragimov

With seventeen seconds left to go in a fight he had done virtually nothing to win, Sultan Ibragimov feinted. And Wladimir Klitschko, on his was to an effortless win and with nothing to fear, flinched. Could it have been more hopeless?

Before the fight, I tried to frame things in an optimistic light. Thus the following rationalizations: These guys weren’t great fighters, but we weren’t looking at them through the prism of pure boxing history, so their relative mediocrity wasn’t too important. They were doing something culturally significant—two fighters from the former Soviet Union moving toward a heavyweight title unification. And it might be an interesting fight.

I thought it curmudgeonly to judge these guys by the yardstick provided by the fighters I grew up watching or the great fighters of still earlier eras. “See them for who they are,” I told myself. “They don’t have to be Ali, Holmes, Liston, or even Page or Tubbs to be worthwhile.”

Who was I trying to kid? They’re horrible. The only enjoyment I got during the fight was in the brief period of time I was able to doze. I woke up exactly where I’d left off, except that it was a round and a half later.

4 Comments:

At 12:26 AM, Blogger Frank Lotierzo said...

The fight was awful. I do think the style clash played a significant part. For 12-rounds I kept thinking to myself, "One can't, and One won't."

 
At 1:13 AM, Blogger Mike Ezra said...

Honestly, I'd rather have watched a tape of the dreadful Ernie Terrell-Doug Jones bout.

 
At 8:08 AM, Blogger Eddie Goldman said...

This fight, with these two heavyweight champions and Olympic medalists from the former Soviet Union, was so bad, it got me thinking: Maybe we should bring back communism (not that they ever really had it there, but that is a debate for some other blog).

Then, as I was sitting in the media room at Madison Square Garden (since my assigned seat was so remote it required an oxygen tank and a pressurized suit), I thought: What would John Ruiz think of this rock-paper-scissors-fest? So I called him.

Unfortunately for my attempt at getting a scoop, he wasn’t home and, I was told, wasn’t even watching the fight, although his trainer, Manny Siaca Sr., was. So I left a message for him to call me back so I can interview him before his March 8 fight with Jameel McCline in Cancun, Mexico.

If we can’t bring back Soviet-style one-party dictatorships, let’s at least bring back someone who legitimately beat a near-prime Evander Holyfield a couple of times.

PS – Here is a scoop, although I haven’t checked the web to see how many other people have it: Vitali Klitschko says he will fight the winner of the March 8 Oleg Maskaev-Samuel Peter fight.

Anyway, I saw old BoxingRanks.com colleague Tom Luffman for the first time in a few years, and we made the rounds of the barrooms with some lovely fight fans we ran into. But now I have to do my No Holds Barred show later today.

 
At 11:23 AM, Blogger Frank Lotierzo said...

Eddie,

Vitali Klitschko has pulled out of so many fights I'll believe this comes off when I see him in the Ring. I'm not sure of the reason, but his body is breaking down.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home